The Apple iPhone X, Xr, and XS were all huge design revolutions when they were introduced over the previous style iPhones that Apple had released.
But is that enough for most major pawn shops to take them in on loan or offer to buy one from you if you want to sell it?
How 'Pawnable' Is This Item
What Value Does This Item Have
The iPhone X was absolutely transformative when Apple introduced it in 2017. People were amazed by it’s great OLED screen, buttonless front design, intuitive user interface, and amazing camera technology.The Xr and XS were largely just iterations of the Original X with minor processor and camera upgrades but not much else.
None the less, desire for these phones was high, but their price turned a lot of consumers off. If you happen to have one of these phones and are looking to sell it or pawn it at a pawn shop, then I have some news that you may not like.
Because of the difficulty some pawn shops have in dealing with often stolen phones, iPhones that are still locked to an Apple account, or phones that later have their ESN number blocked, not all pawn shops take cell phones. In fact, this is becoming a larger problem for those that want to pawn them as fewer and fewer shops deal with this type of item.
Overall the iPhone X, Xr, and XS rate a “Fair” in terms of pawnability. They are slightly more pawnable then their Samsung of LG competitors, but not greatly so.
On the value side of things, it only gets worse as the iPhone X, Xr, and XS bring in a fairly low “Poor” ranking. This is largely in part due to the uncertainty that pawn shops have in dealing with this type of product.
What To Bring With You:
When you take an Apple iPhone X, Xr, or XS into a pawn shop, there are some things that you will want to be sure you do first.
- Make sure that your phone is COMPLETELY signed out of your Apple account and that iCloud is OFF. Most pawn shops absolutely will not take an Apple product that is still signed in to their Apple account or iCloud. If the phone was to forfeit, the pawn shop has little recourse on trying to get their money back out of the phone when they sell it if it is still signed into these services.
- Make sure that you bring the Apple original wall plug and cord with you when you take your iPhone into the pawn shop. The original Apple accessories are much higher quality than the aftermarket knock offs that you find on eBay or Amazon, so it’s important that you have these with you when you go.
- If you have the original box or packaging still, that can also often help your case when trying to get the most amount of money possible out of your iPhone X, Xr, or XS at a pawn shop.
Percentage Of Pawn Shops That Accept This Item 60%
Percentage Of Pawn Shops That Consider This Item Desirable 20%
Average Redemption Rate For This Type Of Item 50%
Percentage of Households That Have This Type Of Item 30%
Percentage Of Times This Type Of Item Is Pawned vs Being Sold 70%
The Apple iPhone X, Xr, and XS rank much higher in these marks than their Android equivalents. This is in part due to how desirable these products are versus their average competitors.
Overall, roughly 60% of pawn shops will accept a iPhone X, Xr, or XS. Even pawn shops that wouldn’t normally consider taking a cell phone may bend the rules for one of these models.
That having been said, only 20% of pawn shops consider them to be at all desirable.
The average redemption ratio for these phones sits at 50% while nearly 30% of households that would consider making a pawn loan have one of these at this point. Of those that do most people, at 70%, choose to make a loan against their phone so that they can get it back at a later point in time versus outright selling it to a pawn shop.
What Are Some Advantages To Pawning This Type Of Item
- It is easier to find a pawn shop that will take in an Apple iPhone versus other types of cell phones.
- You should be able to get a decent amount of money out of your Apple iPhone X, Xr, or XS when you take it to a pawn shop.
What Are Some Drawbacks To Pawning This Type Of Item
- You will likely miss your phone will it is in on loan as it is something that you use daily.
Pawning or Selling Your Apple iPhone X, Xr, or XS at a Pawn Shop
The most important piece of advice that I can give you when working with one of these Apple products is to be absolutely sure that you are able to sign out of your Apple account BEFORE you head into the pawn shop.
It is not enough to just reset the phone as it will still be signed into the Apple account after that. You must sign out of the Apple account and iCloud completely or most pawn shops will not accept the device.
It’s also important to bring the original Apple accessories with you as not all aftermarket Lightening cables will work with all Apple products.
If your phone is damaged in any way, that will really count against you when a pawn shop is figuring out how much to lend you, or offer to buy your phone from you for. Repairs to cell phones aren’t cheap, but at least Apple products enjoy the benefit of being able to be repaired at a local Apple store.
Wordpress junkie, music lover, and consumer of all things pizza-oriented. I’ve run pawn shops and check cashing operations for years. I developed the most successful digital marketing marketing strategy for pawn shops known to date, and flip items on eBay for fun.